Lipid profile – Process, benefits and alternatives
Lipid profile - what is involved?
The lipid profile is a blood test, in which the presence of HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood is determined with laboratory medicine resources. This examination, carried out at regular intervals, takes a central role in the prevention of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular diseases.
Lipid profile – when?
The lipid profile can be ascertained at the Wiener Privatklinik as part of preventive medical check-ups. It serves as a decision-making basis for nutrition and lifestyle recommendations for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
Lipid profile – how?
Biochemistry has taught us a lot about the function of different blood lipids. Cholesterol, which is partly ingested with food, partly synthesised in the liver, is an essential component of cell membranes. Triglycerides primarily serve as sources of energy and storage substances. They form the (mostly undesired) fat pads on the body and they represent a store of energy that can be drawn on during physical exercise. Lipoproteins such as HDL and LDL serve to transport the cholesterol in the blood. The basis for an assessment of the risk of arteriosclerosis, and thus for meaningful recommendations for a conscious lifestyle and nutrition, is the determination of the distribution of cholesterol, HDL, LDL and triglyceride in the blood. This can be determined with a blood sample.
Lipid profile – are there alternatives?
Yes. No lipid profile. And live with an unknown risk.
Lipid profile – why at the Wiener Privatklinik?
The Wiener Privatklinik not only offers you some of Vienna’s best medical specialists, but also specialists and the necessary technical diagnostic equipment for comprehensive preventive medical check-ups. And specialists who will advise and support you if you want to steer your lifestyle in a healthier direction.
You can obtain more detailed information on the lipid profile from our telephone info-line or by email. All contact details can be found on our Contact page.
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ramazanali AHMADI
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Mehrdad BAGHESTANIAN
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Jutta BERGLER-KLEIN, FESC
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Thomas BINDER
- Prim. Dr. Walter EBM
- Ass. Prof. Dr. Harald GABRIEL
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Christoph KOPP
- Prim. Dr. Camel KOPTY
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Paul Alexander KYRLE
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Gerald MAURER
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Siegfried MERYN
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Erich MINAR
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Christian MÜLLER
- OA Dr. Miklos PINTER
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter PROBST
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Wolfram REITERER
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Martin SCHILLINGER
- Univ.-Prof. OA Dr. Herwig SCHMIDINGER
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heinz WEBER
- OA Dr. Michael WINKLER
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Massoud ZANGENEH