The massage is one of the oldest remedies of humankind. The remedial massage treats skin, connective tissue and muscles through stretching, tension and pressure stimuli. The effect of the remedial massage extends from the treated area over the whole body and also involves the psyche.
The indications for remedial massage include painful muscle tension, hardening, diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as spinal syndrome, pain after injury or surgery, but also digestive disorders, scar treatments and even mental problems such as depression.
A further area of application of the massage is the treatment of pareses, spasms, neuralgia and sensory disturbances in the service of neurology.
Other areas include stress-related psychosomatic symptoms, which are essentially related to the heart and blood circulation.
The range of effects on the body is as large as the range of treatment theories and the corresponding massage techniques:
The massage leads, among other things, to increased local blood circulation, it lowers blood pressure and pulse rate, it not only relaxes the muscles, skin and connective tissue, but also the psyche, reduces adhesion and scar tissue, improves wound healing, relieves pain, reduces stress, and stimulates metabolism in the tissue.
The classical massage techniques are based on five movements:
- Stroking: It is the softest and most relaxing massage movement.
- Kneading: In this respect, the skin and muscles are kneaded either between the thumbs, index and the middle finger or with the whole hand/both hands. The massage therapist uses this movement to relieve tension. It works on the muscles and the subcutaneous connective tissue and improves blood circulation.
- Rubbing: The finger tips or balls of the thumbs make small, circular movements on the muscle to relieve tension and loosen hardened muscles.
- Tapping with the side of the hand, flat hand or fingers. It stimulates peripheral circulation, changes the muscle tone and also affects internal organs, e.g. the lungs.
- Vibration: The therapist creates vibration with the fingertips or the flat hand. This movement loosens the deeper layers of tissue and organs and thus it has a cramp releasing effect, among other things.
In terms of a holistically orientated service offering, the Wiener Privatklinik offers the remedial massage at the highest quality level in a range of methods, which extends from the classical remedial massage to lymphatic drainage, foot reflexology massage, acupuncture massage and to earlier methods such as Shiatsu.
You can obtain more detailed information on the remedial massage from our telephone info-line or by email. All contact details can be found on our Contact page.